Thursday, October 3, 2013

Fun Fact: Midnights & Miles' Sheldon Cooper Moment

One of the main squares at the university on market day

Some fun and random facts and observations about my travel to and my first 5 days in England:

Predeparture:

-My last American purchase was:  A Twix bar, a pack of cheesy cracker sandwiches, and a pack of Vienna finger cookies

-There was a very strange family waiting in the chairs near me at the gate.  I later found out that the two daughters (who got randomly pulled by security during boarding) flew coach, while the parents flew business

-It took over 2 hours until the flight attendants started to serve us dinner

-There were curtains separating the flights classes, and I thought of Kristen Wig popping into First during Bridesmaids every time someone walked through

-My orange juice I drank with breakfast tasted distinctively like bacon

-I was so confused by the time change.  When the flight landed, I knew the time on my watch (6AM) was correct, but I was like, WTF I have no clue what time/day it is

-The woman behind me constantly slapped (it felt like slapping, I'm sure it wasn't) her in-flight entertainment screen.  Which was mounted on the back of my headrest

-I think the sitting in front of me watched the first 20 minutes of every movie available

-The woman sitting two seats over from me was a trip coordinator.  She had a group of 20-something people with her and they were all flying to Venice.  She told me her son is in college and wants to study abroad.  I told her that he should do it.

Arrival:

-The UK Border was crowded, but I got through pretty quickly.  They made it sound much worse than it actually turned out to be

-While waiting for the Essex shuttle I sat next to a girl from Virginia

-All shops close at 4PM on Sunday due to trading laws, so I wasn't able to buy the stuff I needed.  A woman named Vanessa made sure I got to Tesco in time to buy a duvet and a pillow for the night. She said I "would freeze" otherwise.

-I talked to an RA coordinator named Anna on Sunday night when I was upset and couldn't use my computer because I didn't have an adapter.  She is from Romania and she is VERY nice

England:

-The mosquitoes here are freaking gigantic

-The roads are very narrow, so I always feel as if people are driving recklessly

-Cars park on the sidewalks

-There are CCTVs everywhere.  Seriously, everywhere.  And every time I see one I think of Mycroft.

-Pounds and Pence instead of Dollars and Cents

Are those enough fun facts for you?  If not, I'm sure more will be forthcoming. :)

-RJ

2 comments: